Monday, August 12, 2013

Bugs and Plants

As much as I might want it to be fall, it's still summer.  And summer still means bugs in my part of the world.  Specifically mosquitoes.  As a former camp counselor and slightly crazy lady, I refuse to use bug spray.  I mean, I haven't used it in years.  Bugs don't usually like me too much so for the most part, it works out okay.

I also use an all natural soap that helps with repelling bugs.  I tell everyone I know about it.  Dr. Bronner's  Hemp Peppermint soap.
It is seriously the best soap ever.  Especially for summer.  It's cool and tingly.  Sometimes a little too tingly....  Um, anyway.  It repels bugs.  It cures heat rash.  It's seriously amazing.  You should go buy some.  No, they're not paying me, I just love it that much.  And a bottle lasts forever.  You can buy it online, at Target, and at health food stores.

Okay, so the Dr. Bronner's and my natural non-bug bite self usually do pretty well.  But sometimes that's not enough.  So I've been considering lemongrass.  Like maybe some pots on our deck and around the basement patio.  It's super good looking.  And is supposed to repel mosquitoes naturally.  I'm thinking we might need to get some before my birthday party.

We usually have a couple citronella candles and some tiki torches but I haaate the way citronella smells, it makes me a little sneezy.  So I'm thinking lemongrass might be the perfect solution.

What do you guys think?  Do you have any lemongrass in your yard?  Where do you stand on bug spray?

2 comments:

  1. Mary I think you should try these things call ThermaCELL they repel mosquitos & other flying insects, protects a 15 x 15 foot area. They are silent and easy to use. Free of smelly lotions, sprays and oils. Compact and portable. My husband and I use them in archery competitions. I know you can get them at Wal-mart in the camping/sports section. I think they would be great for your party! They also have patio laterns in them. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geesha! First of all, you do archery competitions!? That's so cool! I used to teach archery when I was a camp counselor and I am so terrible at it!
      Thanks for the great tip! I'm going to have to check those out! I bet those will be perfect.

      Delete