Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Custom Monogram Wall Art

Today I'm really off to Crystal Bridges with my mom and oldest sister.  Crystal Bridges is an American art museum in Bentonville Arkansas.  Since at my normal posting time I'll be driving to northwest Arkansas, I'm planning ahead and whipped out a little art project of my own.

Since my hallway is almost painted I'm getting some little things ready for my gallery wall.  I think I've mentioned I needed a thick canvas to cover up the switch for our attic fan (which is non-functioning).  So I picked up a eight inch square canvas the other day at the craft store.  I had plans of chevrons and a monogram but I got frustrated trying to tape off a chevron pattern on my small canvas.  Totally not worth it.  And I know chevrons will go out of style eventually so I really should control myself, right?

So, this is what I came up with.
I taped off diagonal lines.  No measuring, I just eyeballed it.

I painted stripes in kind of a champagne color.

I sketched out my monogram.  I had this great plan that I was going to make a sheet of masking tape and cut out a stencil.  That plan failed horribly when I got my tape sheet stuck to itself.  So I just cut my stencil out of paper, laid it on the canvas and traced it with blue hi-lighter.  Blue so that it would not bleed through my paint on the monogram.

Then I just grabbed a tiny angled brush and some turquoise paint and filled in my outline.

I can't wait to get it up on my wall!  Anybody else DIY-ing some art?  Or struggling to keep the blog up during summer trips and massive projects.  Hopefully the whole hallway project is going to get finished soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment