Monday, June 25, 2012

Deep Conditioning and Jello Popsicles

I love summer vacation so much.  I get to do things I would not do with my husband around.  Right now I'm deep conditioning my hair.  I have BioSilk deep conditioning on my roots and scalp and Redken Color Care on the rest of my hair.  That doesn't sound like such a terrible thing to do with your husband home, right?  Well, it's all tied up on top of my head.  And wrapped in plastic wrap.  The plastic wrap is the kicker, it makes me look insane.  I read that it helps trap in the heat and moisture though.  I'm trying to deal with my super dry hair and dry scalp.  It's bad.  And if a plastic wrap hat is going to help, I'm willing to try it.  It's worth a shot anyway.

Today has been a day to try to fix skin issues.  So there's the dry scalp thing, it's gross, it looks like I have dandruff even though it's just dry skin, but it's not terrible.  The more unpleasant skin issue....  I break out in hives.  It's been happening for the past year.  I've been to the allergist and they never really figured out what causes it.  They just keep prescribing me more medicine and nothing has fixed it.  So I've given up on the medicine and now I'm trying to change things to help make it better.  So after a shopping trip today, our household is switching to more natural products.  I've always been fairly sensitive to soap and scents so I'm going to see if changing some of those things will help.  I've been using Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap for quite a while.  I love it so much.  It's minty but not sweet.  It has cut down on summer bug bites and cures heat rash.  Amazing.  And now we are switching to Seventh Generation laundry detergent and fabric softener.  I also bought Tom's deodorant.  So here's hoping the switch to more all natural products will help the hives.  It's not super attractive to be covered in hives.

It's supposed to be 102 with a heat index of 109.  In honor of it being horribly hot and having air conditioning, I'm going to make Jell-O popsicles.  Unfortunately I do not have the Tupperware popsicle  cups my mom had when I was a kid, but dixie cups and a spoon will do the trick.
1 (3 oz.) pkg. Jello, any flavor
1 (.14 oz.) pkg. unsweetened Kool-Aid
1/2 to 3/4 c. sugar
2 c. boiling water
2 c. cold water
Dissolve Jello, Kool-Aid, and sugar in boiling water. Add cold water. Pour into ice cube trays or popsicles molds. Insert sticks. You can wait until mixture is partially frozen to insert sticks. Freeze until firm, about 2-3 hours. Makes 20-24 pops.


No comments:

Post a Comment