Thursday, March 21, 2013

Confession

I love wedding shows.  I mean, I really really love wedding shows.  We've been married for about two and a half years.  I no longer have any real reason to watch wedding shows.  Other than the fact that I desperately love them.  Tonight I may or may not have been watching Say Yes to the Dress.  I think I missed something but they were definitely making a dog wedding dress.  Struck me as a little odd, but who am I to judge?

So, in honor of my love of weddings and the fact that the weather sucks, it's going to be wedding day on the blog.  Yup, you read that right, the weather sucks.  It snowed all day today.  And is supposed to snow for the next three days.  Apparently mother nature missed the fact that spring has started.  Fail.  So, while I wait to see if I'm going to have another snow day we'll focus on something else white that is much more fun.

I think one of the reasons I love weddings so much is that I love planning.  I mean it's the best thing ever.  I loved planning our wedding.  If I could be a successful wedding planner, I'd do it in a second.  However, being more of a jeans and t-shirt girl, I don't really come across as a typical wedding planner.  Also I like to do things super cheaply.  I've been a "Day of Coordinator" for two friends weddings.  I think that means I like to be bossy but can do it nicely.

Anyway.  When my husband and I got married, I went dress shopping with my mom and his mom.  I had an idea of what I wanted.  Nothing too fussy.  No train.  Strapless.  Sweetheart neckline.  A little sparkle.  No lace and no embroidery.  Ug.  Those are my two least favorite.  At least for me.  So, I think I tried on probably less than a dozen dresses.  I was going to share pictures, but they seem to have disappeared....  Oops.

The dress I ended up buying came from David's Bridal.  I was originally completely against buying a dress there.  But I fell in love with my dress.  We walked in, I saw it, and I knew I had to have it.  It was everything I wanted.  And perfect for an outdoor wedding.

I made our invitations.  I found an invite I liked in a catalog and then I recreated it myself using our colors.  And shimmery card stock.  Add sparkles is always better.

We got married at a shelter house overlooking the lake we go to in the summer.  Our reception was at a resort at the lake.  The room our reception was in had a deck overlooking the lake.  And my father-in-law's band played.  We had perfect weather, even for October.  I mean it truly could not have been a better day.  Weather wise, or even in general.  

We had barbecue.  And Boulevard beer.  The same lady did all of our catering and our flowers.  She was insanely cheap.  And everything was amazing.  There was dancing.  There were toasts.  There were cute babies.  There was the Electric Slide to Achy Breaky Heart.  It was perfect.
That tablecloth, my Granny made it for my parents wedding.  It's hand crocheted.

My mom made my bridesmaid dresses.  The guys wore their own shoes (rental shoes gross me out).  We took pictures wearing our sunglasses.  I wore the necklace my dad bought my mom in high school as my something old and my mom's garter as my something blue.


So guys, tell me about your wedding if you're married.  Or your dream wedding if you're not.  Or the best/worst wedding you've ever been too.  Anybody else ready for the lake and summer?  Or the ocean if you're lucky.  Do you constantly watching wedding shows too?  I'm hoping I'm not the only weirdo.  I promise to be back to DIY as normal soon, the snow is just cramping my style.  My poor kitchen chairs are still in the garage half painted.

2 comments:

  1. Bring on summer!!! What a beautiful dress and wedding. So cool that you DIY'd so much. We couldn't afford a real wedding (I also had not realized how awesome DIY/vintage/thrifting was at the time) and got married at a courthouse with a few family members. I still want a big wedding with the dress...hopefully someday although with kids and it being 8 years, probably not likely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! I'm so ready for sunshine and flip flops.

      Thank you! I loved DIYing our wedding. It saved us so much money and allowed us to have things how we wanted them. Maybe there's a vow renewal somewhere in your future :)

      Delete