Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pillow Preview

Since Missouri still hasn't got the hint that it's spring yet, we had a snow storm over the weekend, giving us a snow day on Monday.  That meant a snow day for me.  I mentioned on Monday I had a fun sewing project in the works.  It went surprisingly well.  I tend to not always get along with my sewing machine super well.  Not because my sewing machine is bad but because I'm somewhat inexperienced and impatient.  I'm working on both of those though.  And that's why a couple hours of sewing on Monday were just what the doctor ordered.

When I left you on Monday, I left you with this teaser.
If you pay an insane amount of attention, you may recognize that plaid fabric.  That is a pillow cover that I made back in the fall to cozy up the pillows.  Nothing like a little flannel to say winter.  But like everyone else out there, I am desperate for spring.  Absolutely desperate.  And nothing says spring like some fun flowers and a little linen.

I picked up some tan linen fabric weeks ago at Jo Ann's.  I had planned to just make all tan linen pillows with some embellishments.  Then I realized that was just too boring for me.  If you like all one color of neutral pillows, that's cool too.  But I'm a fan of bright pops of color.  So I grabbed this turquoise and tan flowered fabric at Walmart the other day on my way home.  I think it was just what I needed to tie it all together.

So Monday I busted out the sewing machine and sewed five pillow covers.  And started a sixth.  I'm only showing you two today.  I need to get #5 and 6 done so I can show off the rest.  But I had a slight run in with the sewing machine around 5pm on Monday and decided to call it a day.  But I have big plans for pillows five and six.  Some super fun embellishments are in my future.  I have hopes of getting them finished tonight.  If I can get the sewing machine back up and running, it shouldn't take too long.  And one of the pillows just involves hot gluing.

Ready for their big reveal, my pillows. I'm not going to give you a tutorial.  I stink at remembering to take pictures.  And they're just basic envelope pillow covers.  And I learned the best trick the other day.  Like so clever I couldn't believe I didn't realize it before.  There is no need to cut three pieces for your pillow (unless you're doing some insane embellishment on the front that will be hard to center).  Just measure and cut one long strip.  Hem the ends.  Mark where your folds should go (measure twice, sew once).  Then just pin your pillow and sew.  Seriously, why have I been spending all the time measuring and cutting three panels for a pillow.  Duh!  I feel so dumb.  It saves so much time and is crazy easy.  I only had to cut separate pieces for my super embellished pillow and if I'd been feeling extra clever or like measuring a lot I could've just left it as one piece too but I didn't want to mess it up.

So, what are you guys up to?  Anybody else super ready for spring?  Or fighting with their sewing machine?  No, just me?  Okay, I'm working on it.  Hopefully I'll be back tomorrow to share my extra fun pillows.  Can't wait!  For now, let's just stare at those other simpler pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment