Monday, April 15, 2013

A Touch of Spring

Come on already, I am so ready for spring!  This year it seems like spring is teasing us.  We have a couple wonderful, warm days and then it gets cold again.  Not that 50 is necessarily that cold, but I'm ready for spring dresses and flip flops.  Ready to drive with my windows down.  But since the weather hasn't decided to cooperate with me, I'm bringing spring inside.

A few weeks ago I made new throw pillow covers, that definitely helped.  I sent the old flannel pillow covers to the basement and put on the new springy covers.  The Valentines wreaths (finally) got sent to hang out with the other seasonal decor and I pulled out my spring wreaths.

So now I feel springy when I walk up to my front door.  And I am still absolutely in love with my twine wreath.  I think it's my favorite that I've made.  It's just fun and whimsical.  It makes me smile every time I look at it.

But I needed more spring inside.  Our daffodils have finally started blooming.  And my dog likes to eat flowers.  No, he loves to eat flowers.  Any flower that has the chance to bloom, he eats.  Last summer my day lilies were too tall for him to get, so he chewed them stem in half to get to the bloom.  Not cool Rowdy.  So this year we've been telling him "No" everytime he gets close to the flowers.  But I decided we could enjoy them more if I just cut the blooms and brought them inside.  So now they're happily on my kitchen table.  I probably needed a bud vase, but you work with what you've got.
And you may notice I finally got my kitchen chairs painted.  Yay :)  I kind of feel like they need seat cushions but we'll worry about that another day.

The other day I was at Hobby Lobby and I picked up some flowers for my turquoise vase on the mantle.  I don't really usually do tons of fake flowers in our house (we totally used them for our wedding though) but these were super realistic and 50% off so I figured it was worth a shot.  I just trimmed the stems down, seriously, what do people do with three foot long stems.  I've never seen a hydrangea with that long of a stem.  Anyway, I grabbed my wire cutters and trimmed the stems down to a normal length and plopped them in my vase.
I like that the flowers give a little more height on t hat side of the mantle, it was feeling a little short over there.

Is it spring in your neck of the woods yet?  Or are you desperately trying to make it feel springy at your house?  I need to get outside and restain (yes, already, even though I just did it last summer) the deck but it keeps raining.  I know, April Showers bring May Flowers and what not, but the rain is keeping me inside.  Boo!  What did you guys do this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment