Monday, April 22, 2013

Pretty in Pink

The wedding shower went off without a hitch.  I spent the majority of the day Saturday prepping.  The usual, you know, super cleaning the house (even dusting, I never dust) and prepping lots of yummy food.  I ended up not doing any decorations because I decided it just wasn't worth it.  And my food table was pretty darned decorative.

So, the food.  Because really, that's all any of us care about.  I made marshmallow pops (a thousand times easier than cake pops), a fruit plate, pinwheels, and lime cupcakes.  And punch.  Mmm, punch. 

Guys this punch was delicious.  Even my husband helped me drink the leftovers.  I followed this recipe.  I didn't take a picture of my punch.  Sorry.  On Saturday, I followed the recipe exactly, I made a second pitcher Sunday with a couple alterations and I liked it much better.  The first pitcher was fine, just a little too tart for my taste.  So, here we go.
2 bottles of Moscato (or the really big bottle.  I used the big bottle of Barefoot Moscato. Less than $10 at Walmart)
1 can of frozen pink lemonade concentrate plus one can of water (the original recipe says no water but I thought that made it too tart)
Raspberries, I used a couple handfuls of frozen
3 cups of lemon lime soda (I used the Walmart brand because I was mixing it)
Mix it all together and enjoy with a friend or two.  Or by yourself.  No judging here.  I would recommend just pouring the lemon lime soda in to each glass as you drink it, that way it stays nice and fizzy.  This drink go rave reviews.  Super delish!

The marshmallows could not have been easier.  And everyone was so impressed.  They look like you took all this time.  No time at all guys.  Stab the marshmallows with a knife.  Poke in a sucker stick.  Throw them in the freezer for a few minutes.  Dip them in almond bark.  Drizzle a contrasting color over the top or sprinkle with sanding sugar.  And done.  I put them in a square vase full of sugar and they looked amazing.




 And there were the cupcakes.  Lime cupcakes.  I have the best trick for making flavored cupcakes.  Or specifically fruity flavored cupcakes.  I've only done this with lemon and lime but I imagine it would work for other flavors.  You know, if you wanted to make grape cupcakes.  I don't know why you would want grape  cupcakes but.... If you do, I think this would work. 

Okay, I buy a cake mix.  A Betty Crocker one because the white/yellow mix doesn't have soy.  But you can use whatever brand you want.  Then instead of the water I use lemonade/limeade concentrate.  Just dump it into a measuring cup and add enough water to make two cups.  It will still be super strong so if you're going to drink the leftovers, add some more water.  Just make your cake as normal.  You can use some or your slightly watered down concentrate for the liquid in your icing also.  I replace both the milk and vanilla with the limeade.  It's so yummy.  Everyone asked to take leftover cupcakes home with them.



So, those are the highlights.  There was drinking.  And eating yummy food.  And presents.  Of course presents. 

What did you guys do this weekend?  Anybody else whip up something super yummy to eat?  The rest of my cupcakes are coming to work so I don't accidentally eat all of them.  I'll be back tomorrow with some super yummy brownies to share.  Apparently I'm on a food kick.  Probably because I'm trying to lose weight.

1 comment: