Friday, April 19, 2013

Sneak Peak of a Flash Back

It seems only fitting to have marshmallows at a wedding shower for an old camp friend.  The friend that I'm throwing a shower for this weekend is a former co-worker.  We spent two summers working at a YMCA camp.  Working summer camp is a seriously bonding experience.  Lots of late nights.  Lots of sunburns and bug bites.  Lots of unfortunate fashion choices.  And lots of s'mores.  We are both s'more experts.  And we used to always tell a campfire story together.  Purple stew.  Don't youtube it, they're all disappointing.  Just trust me, it's fairly hilarious, there's purple animals, singing, and dancing.

And after purple stew there were always s'more.  I've made probably a thousand s'mores (not for myself) over the four summers I did summer camp.  Anyway, when I saw the dipped marshmallows the other day I knew I had to make them.  I've made dipped marshmallows before, usually covered in chocolate at Christmas time but a wedding shower calls for fancier marshmallows.  So, this time they're on a stick and drizzled with contrasting chocolate or sprinkles.

These are easy peasy lemon squeezy guys.  Super easy.  Get a bag of marshmallows.  Buy two bags of sucker sticks (one is not enough for a whole bag of marshmallows and if you're going to the trouble, you might as well do all of them).  Stab each marshmallow with a knife to make a hole for the stick.  Poke a stick in each marshmallow.  Throw the marshmallows in a baggie and freeze them for ten minutes or so to make sure the stick is firmly in place.  Then dip your marshmallows in melted almond bark or candy melts.  *When you're melting your candy, make sure you stir FREQUENTLY, otherwise you will burn the heck out of it and ruin it.  Trust me.  Stir at least every thirty seconds.  If you're sprinkling something on top of the marshmallows or dipping in sprinkles or something, do it quick, before the almond bark sets up.  Again, trust me.

And a sneak peak of my pretty marshmallows.....



Excuse the less than gorgeous pictures.  I just grabbed a couple quick shots before I cleaned up.  Some of them are not as pretty as I had hoped, but not terrible.  I think I came up with the perfect way to hold up the marshmallow pops so they didn't drip all over.  Cooling racks.  Stack two of them up.  Cover the top one with foil to catch drips, then just poke the sticks through the foil.  This was great but I only have three cooling racks.  So the third one got propped up on cereal bowls.  It worked.

Yum!  I can't wait to eat these on Saturday.  They're supposed to store well in a baggie.  Anybody cooking anything new and delicious?  I'm trying some new brownies for work tomorrow too.  They looked delish and I needed an excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment