Friday, September 6, 2013

Mug Muffins

Okay, I know, it's Friday evening.  If you're like me, all you can think about is getting home from work, sprawling across the couch and enjoying a cold beverage.  Maybe a margarita, or a beer, or maybe a lemonade.  But, come tomorrow morning you're going to need breakfast.  Or I will anyway, if I don't eat breakfast I am not a happy camper.  So, I'm here to share a healthy breakfast with you.

I know you're supposed to have protein for breakfast.  But if I just have protein and nothing else, guess what, still grumpy.  I need some carbs with my protein to be completely happy.  I pinned a recipe the other day that I've adapted a bit and I'm going to share it with you.


Mug Muffins
Ingredients
1/4 cup oats, I like steel cut
1 egg (or eggbeaters for a lighter option)
Handful of fruit, I like raspberries
A splash of Skim Milk
1 T brown sugar (you could use Splenda or some other artificial sweetener or even honey)
Directions
Grab a mug, dump all the ingredients in a mug.  Mix 'em up.  Throw the mug in the microwave for about a minute and a half (more or less depending on your microwave, that's just how long it takes in mine).  Let it cool a bit and enjoy.  It should slide out of the mug pretty nicely if you want to put it on a plate.  But why would you want to get something else dirty, you can totally just eat it out of the mug.
Nutrition Information (via MyFitnessPal)
Calories:  313
Carbs:  49
Fat:  8
Protein:  13
Sodium:  77
Sugar:  17

Yes, it does have quite a bit of sugar.  You could totally make that lower by subbing out an artificial sweetener.  I personally prefer to use the calories for real sugar than use artificial sweetener, just a personal preference.  You could also use eggbeaters for lower calories.  All in all, not terrible for you.  And look at all that protein!

What about you guys?  Are you a breakfast person?  I love breakfast!  I wish my husband was as much of a breakfast person as I am.  Any Go To delicious breakfasts at your house?  Will you make me pancakes sometime?  I refuse because I hate the lingering smell.

5 comments:

  1. Lol you can come over for pancakes anytime and then leave so you don't have to keep smelling them! My hubby likes breakfast...especially french toast.

    P.s. If you ever want an IKEA drying rack just let me know! I'll ship you one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! That is a good friend who will make you breakfast so you don't have to pancake up your own house.

      I may have to take you up on the drying rack sometime. I need to see when the KC store is supposed to open. I know it will be an expensive first shopping trip.

      Delete
  2. I Love pancakes but the darn things seem to always stick!! Your muffins sound good, will have to try it out! By the way I sent you my address!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geesha! I hate it when pancakes stick!

      You will have a little gift headed your way soon.

      Delete
  3. Thus sounds easy to make. I will give it a try

    ReplyDelete