Thursday, September 26, 2013

Chocolate Oatmeal

Yup.  That says exactly what you think it says.  Chocolate oatmeal.  Let's take a minute and pause for excitement...

I loooove breakfast.  And I love eating a really delicious breakfast.  However, my work schedule doesn't really allow time for the kind of breakfast I would like.  I leave for work at 6:30, who wants to cook/eat breakfast that early.  So most days I end up grabbing breakfast at my desk once I'm already at work.  That means it's a bowl of cereal, a smoothie, an egg muffin, you know something super simple.

Well, I made a great discovery.  Yesterday (I think) I got a Pillsbury email, one of those with recipes.  It included a recipe for chocolate crockpot oatmeal.  Um, I'm a complete failure at planning ahead.  So even when I have great crockpot plans, half the time I end up have to hurry my food along on the stove because I've forgotten to put stuff in the crockpot before I left for work.  Fail.

But I figured I could whip up some chocolate oatmeal in the microwave.  Spoiler, I was right.  And I have no pictures to share because it turns out microwaved chocolate oatmeal in a Tupperware container does not look especially glamorous or delicious, but trust me, it is delicious.

So, here's what you do.  Grab a bowl, dump in 3/4 cup Old Fashioned or Steel Cut Oats.  Add an envelope of hot chocolate mix.  Pour in about 1/2 cup of milk (eyeball it til it looks right).  Microwave for about 3 minutes, stirring to make sure you don't have an oatmeal volcano in your microwave.  Let it cool for a couple of minutes and enjoy.

And if you're like me and your milk came out of a school milk carton, drink the rest of the carton with your oatmeal.  Yum!  And it just seems so decadent.  It's not even absolutely terrible for you, I'm sure we could healthy it up with actual cocoa and some splenda or something.  But even with instant hot cocoa mix, it's delish.

What are you guys eating for breakfast these days?  Anybody else a complete breakfast person?  I totally love breakfast for dinner, unfortunately that gets voted down at my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment