Thursday, June 6, 2013

Rio and Romance

Okay, I have wall art to talk about today but before I can do that I have to tell you guys what I found on my porch yesterday.  A couple of weeks my girl Geesha blogged about some sweet little parrot vases she'd gotten on eBay.  And since she is the sweetest bloggy buddy, she wanted to split her pair of parrots and send one my way.  He arrived on my front porch yesterday.  Man, that girl knows how to pack a bird in a box.  Next time I move Geesha, I'm calling you!

So, his name is Rio.  He doesn't have a home yet.  I'm still moving him around to find the perfect spot.  And I need to get some flowers, but I couldn't wait to show him off.  So, I set him on our built ins in the living room and snapped away.
He's so cute, right!  Pretty excited to find him the perfect home.  I'm thinking front entryway table maybe.  I love him though.  So thanks Geesha for being the sweetest!  As soon as my summer break starts, something great (still to be determined) is headed your way.  Maybe a fun little homey craft.

Speaking of fun little homey crafts....  Back during the Spring Pinterest Challenge I created some art work for our bedroom.  Well, I had another project up my sleeve, I just ran out of time due to being crazy busy at work.  So, almost a month later, it's done and up on the wall.  This was actually a project my husband picked.  I wanted something kind of sweet and romantic to hang on our wall in the bedroom.  I gave him the choice of a couple of little sayings and then I suggested using part of the lyrics from our first dance song from our wedding.  That idea was the winner.  

I knew I wanted to do quite a bit of the song so my usual method of printing out the words and then tracing through the paper onto wood and filling in the outline was impractical and would quickly drive me crazy.  So I set out to find a better method.  Then I found this.  Guys, this is the most brilliant thing ever.  You get a board and paint it.  Then you print out whatever you want on a laser printer (I used the one at work).  The trick is you have to print a mirror image.  Then you just spread Mod Podge on your painted board.  Lay your paper onto the wet Mod Podge.  Smooth it out and press the paper on there really well.  Once the Mod Podge is completely dry, you wet the paper (I used a spray bottle) and just rub the paper off.  The ink magically stays behind.  It is seriously amazing.  Oh and then just throw a layer of Mod Podge over the whole thing just for funsies.

It took me two tries to get it right but I just flipped over the wood and used the other size.  I love it so much.  Now it's up on our bedroom wall.  Yippee!  I may need to add a couple of pictures beside it just to balance it, but all in all, I'm so incredibly happy with it.
Sitting in the living room waiting for a coat of Mod Podge

Ignore the shadows.  I was taking pictures at night.  I'm a bad blogger. 


Ready for a close up.  I like that all the letters didn't transfer perfectly.

Perspective.  I'm thinking I might hang a couple of our wedding pictures right next to it.

And if you're trying to identify the song.  It's Heaven by Bryan Adams.  It was my father-in-law's idea.  And it was perfect.  He's in a band, his band played our whole wedding reception which was amazing.
And just for fun, a picture of us dancing at our wedding.

And it's possible I'm listening to Bryan Adams right now....  Anybody else finishing up a project that's been in the works forever?  I'm ready to be out of school for the summer so I can tackle my summer list.  And find Rio a good home.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mary!! AWE! I am so excited that you got Rio, and in one piece! Hallelujah! I was so worried. Yeah its almost 1 in the morning on a Saturday night. I am playing catch up! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, your art work! It is totally Gorge! And I am super jealous! I really need to try this but i don't have a jet printer, BOO! Our wedding song was At Last by the one & only Miss Etta James!

    ReplyDelete