Monday, January 14, 2013

On Winter

Here's the thing.  I hate winter.  Winter and I have never gotten along well.  When I was in high school my car slid into the giant ditch by our school gym because of snow.  Ever since, winter and I have been enemies.  I hate being cold.  I could really truly wear flip flops all year long.  I never really have any need of it getting below 65 degrees.  So, how do I survive those long, cold months?

Bogs.  I just bought them this year.  But I am IN LOVE with these shoes.  Yes, they were expensive.  But they are totally worth it.  They're warm.  They're grippy.  They have handles so they're super easy to get on and off.  And they even fit my beefy calves.  Bogs didn't tell me to say these things, I simply love them.  And I wore them to work this morning with my leggings and sweater dress (the best winter outfit).  I didn't slip on my way to the car when I crossed my snow & ice covered driveway.  My feet were toasty warm.  These shoes have pretty much changed my life.  I bought mine on Amazon.  These are the Classic Mid and they're PERFECT.

Hempz Lip Balm.  It is the most amazing stuff.  Most lip stuff makes my lips peel.  It's terrible and gross.  And my lips are horrible all winter.  Until one day at Beauty Brands I grabbed a tube of Hempz Lip Balm on a whim.  I used to use their tanning lotion in college and loved it.  I am completely  in love with the lip balm.  It's all I use.  It's kind of pricey (to me anyway) but totally worth it.  An $8 tube will last me at least all winter and even a little longer really.  It's not flavored or tinted but has a great scent and a nice sheen.  It also layers super well under some pretty lip gloss.

Neutrogena Hand Cream.  I've used this since I was in high school.  I swear, my skin is ridiculously dry all winter long.  I keep a bottle on my desk at work, one in my purse, and one at home.  I try to slather it on a couple times a day.  It's amazing stuff.  It's thick but not greasy.  And it doesn't smell funny.

Hot orange cranberry juice.  This is not a real thing.  To my knowledge, you can't buy a bottle of it.  I buy orange juice (usually concentrate, because that's what my mom always bought) and make a pitcher.  And I buy cranberry juice, I like the 100% juice over the juice cocktail.  Then I just mix them, about half and half and heat it up.  Man, it's so delicious.  And it's great in the morning because I'm not a huge coffee drinker.  And it's equally delicious cold.  I highly recommend it either way.

Furry shoes.  Seriously.  I've been in a committed relationship with furry moccasins for  about three years now.  I bought three pairs (one for me, my mom, and my sister) about three years ago when there was some super crazy Oprah coupon.  Mine are kind of worn out and smell because I always wear them barefoot but I'm totally getting a new pair soon.  I love them so much.  I call them my winter flip flops.

So, those are my favorite winter things.  BTW, nobody paid me for any endorsement.  These are just things I love that get me through the winter.  Do you hate winter as much as I do?  Or do you cheer when it gets cold or snows?  What are your "Go To" winter items?


2 comments:

  1. I actually kinda like winter, which I know is weird but boots and coats are my fave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I liked winter. I want to like sweaters and coats and boots. I just can't help but going back to my true love of warm weather and flip flops.

      But I'm so glad somebody out there likes winter :)

      Delete