Saturday, September 1, 2012

birthday cake

So my birthday may have been a week and a half ago but my mom and sister came up this weekend to celebrate.  My mom took us out to lunch at one of my favorite places.  And she and my dad got me a sewing machine for my birthday.  I could not be more excited.  If we didn't have people coming over tomorrow I would be making a trip to JoAnn's to buy fabric and making some throw pillows tonight.  I cannot wait to start making things.  It's going to be great.  Super excited!  I played around with just some scraps of fabric this afternoon, just to try it out and I am in love.

And my mom brought me a birthday cake.  I'm pretty sure it was some of the best cake I have ever had.  Thanks to all of my food allergies, baked goods are a little tricky.  My mom pulled out one of my granny's cake recipes and made me a cake from scratch.  Chocolate cake with real butter and buttermilk in it.  And chocolate buttercream icing.  It was absolutely amazing.  She left the rest of the cake at our house.  It's possible that I ate another piece of cake after they left.  It's just that good.  And I am seriously thinking about a third piece of cake but I'm resisting.

Tomorrow is our annual Labor Day party.  I'm so excited to have our friends over and make some delicious food.  Right now I have fish laying out on the counter for a fish fry.  And I'm going to make my mother-in-law's stromboli.  It's one of those things that I have to make whenever we have people over, and it's so easy.  I'm also thinking about margarita pie.  And just for fun for the holiday, here's the recipe.  Everyone always loves it.  It is super strong though.

Margarita Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
2 14 ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
3/4 c lime juice
6 T tequila
4 tsp orange liqueur
Whipped Cream

Mix sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, tequila, and liqueur until combined.  Let set up until the consistency of pudding.  Pour filling into pie crust.  Top with whipped cream and chill.
*I usually add a little green and yellow food coloring to give it more of a green color.  
**Super delicious, it will catch up with you, but it's so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment