Friday, May 3, 2013

Leaves and Twigs

No, this post does not refer to nature at all, but muffins.  My oldest sister makes what we fondly refer to as Leaves & Twigs muffins.  Why do we call them that?  She shoves in every healthy thing she can think of.  Well, I had some bananas leftover from throwing that wedding shower (don't worry, they've been in the freezer, not sitting on my counter this whole time) and I wanted to make banana bread.  I knew I wanted some oatmeal in them too to make them a little more substantial, so I called my sister for her leaves and twigs recipe.

 My sister and me on vacation a few years ago.

And let's get ready to cook.  I ate two of these for breakfast this morning with a yogurt and man they were delicious. 

Hearty Fruit and Oatmeal Muffins
2 cups flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1/2 c buttermilk
1 cup sugar
Fruit*

Mash your fruit.  Combine fruit with sugar, buttermilk, eggs, and oil.   Stir in soda, flour, and oatmeal.  Pour into muffin tins and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.  Makes about 18 muffins.  You could also make it as a loaf, but why.  Muffins are nice and portable.  Make muffins.

*I used about three bananas.  I also sprinkled a couple of chocolate chips on top of each muffin.  Next time I'm thinking pumpkin or strawberries.



Let me know if you try these and what you think.  I definitely feel like they're a little healthier breakfast choice.  What are your plans for the weekend?  I'm hoping the snow is melted by tomorrow, yes, snow in May in Missouri.  Not impressed.  I'm going to be working on my Pinterest Challenge project.  Squee!!!!!!!

1 comment: