Monday, October 8, 2012

Apple Cider Donuts

The last two times I've been at the grocery store, I've had a conversation about apple cider donuts.  The same checker  both times.  Last night when I went I was actually buying apple cider.  I bought a gallon, so plenty to bake with as well as drink.  I really bought it with the intent of heating it up and adding Apple Pie Liqueur.  It is truly amazing stuff and I've been known to just drink it straight, especially at Chiefs tailgates.  So I enjoyed my cider last night but with the full plan of making donuts this morning.

Last night while we watched football, I scoured the internet for a good apple cider donut recipe.  I finally came across this one.  It sounded amazing.  I didn't have exactly the right ingredients so I did some substituting and I was super happy with how they turned out.


Ingredients (10-12 donuts)
  • 1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. nutmeg  I used 1 t. cinnamon because I didn't have nutmet
  • 1/2 t. cinnamon
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 3/4 c. apple cider
  • 1/4 c. organic sugar
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 2 T. molasses honey
  • 2 T. unsweetened applesauce (I used some natural cinnamon applesauce)
  • 2 T. vegan margarine (i.e. Earth Balance) or coconut oil, melted  (I used canola oil because that's what I had.  I think melted butter would've worked well also)
  • 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • cinnamon and sugar for dusting (optional)
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
  • In a measuring cup or smaller bowl, mix together apple cider, sugars, molasses, applesauce, melted margarine or coconut oil and vanilla extract.
  • Add cider mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
  • Spoon batter into a greased donut pan (or muffin tin).
  • Bake for 11-13 minutes, until donuts are slightly browned and firm.
  • Dust with cinnamon and sugar while still warm, if desired.
  • (Note: since these donuts are not fried, there will not be grease for the cinnamon and sugar to adhere to. If you really want the cinnamon/sugar to stick heavily, consider brushing the donuts with a big more melted margarine or coconut oil. But the donuts have enough flavor and sweetness with just a light dusting.)
Man, oh man, these were good.  I made them in a muffin pan as I don't have a donut pan.  They were delicious and so easy to make.  I will definitely be making these again.  I failed to take pictures. But believe me, they were delicious.  

No comments:

Post a Comment