Sunday, October 21, 2012

No-Clutter-November

In college I had friends (guy friends) that always did no-shave-November.  This was especially hilarious on super blonde guys.  I don't know why, it just was.  Anyway.  It's going to be No-Clutter-November at my house.  Yes, I know it's not November yet, but we're getting an early start.  I'm planning right now.  And I'm off work on Friday and I always like something purposeful to do on my days off.

Our house is not as organized as I'd like.  I wish I could say it was just one or two rooms, but it's not.  Pretty much every room has its issues.  Big issues.  Things don't have a good place to go, or the place they're supposed to go is inconvenient.  I'm terrible at getting things put away.  It's pretty ridiculous.  So, let's break it down.

Kitchen/Dining room
The problem:  I have way too much kitchen stuff.  I love cooking, I love kitchen stuff, I love dishes.  We also have way too many small appliances.  I mean it's truly ridiculous.  Sitting out on our cabinets, we have my KitchenAid mixer, a Keurig, a regular coffee pot, a toaster oven, and a blender.  And our kitchen is not the big.  Stowed away in the kitchen cabinets we have a huge food processor, a waffle maker, coffee grinder, cupcake maker, two crock pots, a pop up toaster, and probably something else I'm forgetting.  It's ridiculous.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Small appliances are taking over my kitchen.  And my laundry room.  Also, our food and pan cabinets are always a mess.
The plan:  Purge!  Get rid of the small appliances I do not use.  Reorganize cabinets for better, more efficient storage.  Install storage solutions inside cabinet doors to help make storage more efficient.


Living room
Well, this room isn't really that bad storage wise, if we would just pick up after ourselves and be willing to recycle our magazines.  Working on that.

Laundry room
Oh boy.  This room is driving me crazy.  In theory, it should be a gorgeous room.
The problem:  Well, there's the problem of all the crap in the closet.  Small appliances need to get out of the laundry room to make better storage for other stuff.  There are small appliances on top of the shelf where I sort my laundry, not cool.  
The plan:  The closet in the laundry room is going to become a linen closet.  I am going to get rid of all the junk in the closet that does not belong there.  Add some storage bins and make it a much more useful place. The small appliances are going to find a new home or go away.

Hall Linen Closet
The problem:  So, the real problem is that this closet is way too small.  I have to cram stuff in.  It's fairly organized as it is, there's just not enough space.  Not even close.
The plan:  Well, that stuff is moving to the closet in the laundry room.  It's a much bigger closet and I am so excited!

Office
The problem:  This is the room where our organization is the biggest failure.  I dump everything in here.  I have all of my craft supplies in here.  Some of them are in the closet (which is terrible!) and I can never easily get to what I need.  Some of my stuff is on the desk.  And, my sewing machine is on the floor.  Oh, wrapping supplies are all shoved in that closet as well.  Ug.
The plan:  Well, remember how I just emptied the linen closet in the hall.  That's going to become my craft closet.  It's going to be perfect, it has lots of shelves.  I'm going to install a touch light on the bottom of each shelf so I can easily see everything and the shelves will allow me to split things up nicely.  And a lazy susan for my paints and such.

Hall bathroom
The problem:  My vanity/under cabinet storage area is ridiculous.  I'm thinking getting a new sink/counter top is the perfect excuse to organize this business.  When I open my cabinet doors under my sink, I'm mortified.  I have a big bin that has a bunch of stuff just thrown in.  Then everything else is just flung under the sink.  It's a pain and I have to dig for everything.
The plan:  Pull out the awkward, unuseful shelves that are under the cabinet.  Put some shelving in.  Add storage to the back of the doors for my blow dryer, flat iron, and maybe TP.  Brilliant.  Can't wait to do it!

So, that's the ultimate plan.  I can't wait to get started.  I really want to start with the office.  But, I know logically I have to start with the kitchen and laundry room issues so that I have an actual home for everything to go to.  It's going to be great though.


No comments:

Post a Comment