So, we pile massive amounts of junk on our coffee table. Back in the summer I bought a couple of trays at JoAnn's. I painted the sides and decoupaged matching scrapbook paper into the bottom. I was okay with how they looked, but they weren't my favorite.
And I was in love. Except I couldn't find the acrylic water I needed to set the bottle caps. Until I finally found it. And then remember how I didn't have any bottle caps. Well, my amazing sister came to my rescue with her huge bag full of bottle caps, don't worry, she doesn't have a drinking problem, they were collected over time by numerous people. Anyway, I got my tray done finally. Months later. And I am officially in love. I left my bottle caps with their beer label on them. I had enough different ones that no two are alike. I love it.
I had read horror stories about wooden trays leaking when you poured the acrylic water in. So I pulled a trusty tube of caulk from all of our sealing up our house projects. I caulked all the inside seams and for good measure I caulked the seams on the bottom as well. Then I put in all my bottle caps. In hindsight I wish I had glued them down before I poured in the acrylic water. The pouring displaced a lot of the bottle caps and I had to try to push them back down. Well, there were still some floaters so I ended up having to buy a third set of acrylic water. So my project ended up costing a little more than I would've liked, but I still love how it looks.
So, 63 bottle caps (and sorting through a ton more), three packages of acrylic water, and a coat of spray paint later, I have a tray that I'm super happy with. It's going to be great holding our remotes. And let's be honest, at least three bottles of nail polish.